Sunday, December 4, 2011

bonus- technology



For my final bonus blog discussion, I have chosen to write about what appears to me as an interesting topic. I chose to speak about how technology affects us as American in our every day life. The interesting part, to me, is that we tend not to even realize that technology affects us on a day to day basic. Well to begin, I remember as a young boy, I rarely used electronic technology. Pretty much the only ones that I used was obviously the television and occasionally my game boy when I was traveling to hockey games in the car. But other than that I was always outside, whether it was cold or warm. I was either playing with my friends or just shooting some hoops or practicing my slap shot. But either way, technology really did not consume my life. it was not uncommon for me not to use any type of electronic until right before I went to be when I would watch television with my parents. But as I got older, I got a cell phone, got a laptop and my own television in my room. Suddenly my life changed. I was constantly texting my friends and surfing the Internet. And shortly there after, I found myself staying inside more and more. Looking back on it, that was a bad decision. But like me, I believe many other Americans did the same thing and still do the same thing. After awhile, we have become comfortable with using technology and it became second nature for us to use it. Now, we use technology instead of doing some of the simplest things on our town. For example, most Americans will use a calculator for a simple equation that we could easily use mental math for if we would just be willing to use our brains. I’m not saying that I am not one of these people, because I am one of them. But I regret saying it, which makes me want to change the way I live my life. However, technology is amazing and we should be constantly improving it, but we cannot go on living our lives like robots. Before we know it, technology has incorporated itself into every aspect of our lives. No matter where we go, we can surf the web and check the score of the game. Not to say that this is a bad thing, because having mobile Internet is very important in things such as business and disaster relief. All I am saying is that in some way, we need to go back to our roots and do things the old fashion way every once in awhile. We have lost sight in the good things in life and we cant just shy away from things just because they are difficult. Hard work pays off. Personally, when I work hard on something and really use my brain, I feel much better about myself. I get a good sense of accomplishment. Technology can’t change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment